Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cup of Hope - Get Back Up Again

The hardest thing when you fall is getting back up again. All too often our pride gets the best of us when we fail (fall) and we'd rather lie in the mud than stand up and face our failure or mistake. Sound familiar? I've fallen so many times that I think I have permanent callouses. Scars builds character, believe it or not.

If you never try, you can never fail. If you never fail, you can never succeed.

Countless men and women throughout the ages have dedicated literally their entire lives to some purpose or mission. They tried and failed, many times over. Yet, they didn't view their failure as a reason to quit. They saw their failure instead as one less way to their success.

It's not easy to think about failure in a positive light. In fact, you really have to re-train your thoughts to accept failure as a positive learning experience. It's not easy, but it is doable.

I have a question for you: What makes a great woman (or man)? It's the fact that when faced with adversity, they push through. When they fall, they get back up again. That's what makes you great.

I came upon a poem this week by the great and prolific poet, Maya Angelou and I want to share it with you:

Phenomenal Woman
By Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.

I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size

But when I start to tell them,They think I'm telling lies.

I say, It's in the reach of my arms The span of my hips,

The stride of my step,The curl of my lips.

I'm a woman

Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me.

I walk into a room Just as cool as you please,

And to a man, The fellows stand or

Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees.I say, It's the fire in my eyes,

And the flash of my teeth,The swing in my waist,And the joy in my feet.

I'm a woman

Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman,That's me.

Men themselves have wondered What they see in me. They try so much But they
can't touch My inner mystery.When I try to show them They say they still
can't see. I say, It's in the arch of my back, The sun of my smile, The ride of my breasts, The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman,That's me.

Now you understand Just why my head's not bowed. I don't shout or jump about

Or have to talk real loud. When you see me passing It ought to make you proud.

I say, It's in the click of my heels, The bend of my hair, the palm of my hand,

The need of my care, Cause I'm a woman

Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me.

You may be wondering what this poem has in common with my article this month. A phenomenal woman gets up. She possesses a great inner strength and she knows how to harness that strength and use it to her advantage. She doesn't wallow in self-pity when she falls. She gets back up again.

Have you fallen? Are you weary, frustrated, tired, worn out? Get back up again. Dust yourself off. Try again.

www.magicofmakingup.com is an uplifting devotional e-zine, devoted to today's Christian women and men. Cup of Hope brings encouragement to you through inspirational articles and ideas. A fresh edition of Cup of Hope is published monthly. Visit us online at www.magicofmakingup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment